September 8, 2018 KBRD Poker Run Brainerd Area, MN
Destination: KBRD 9Y0 07Y 52Y 9Y2
Total Logged Time: 4.8 hours
This was a fun event. We would probably never goto these grass strips without some event like this. The event was a “Poker Run” – where you pick up a card for your poker hand at each airport then the highest hand wins. It is not a race.
- Great VFR weather for all legs, slight crosswind at one airport but otherwise prevailing winds at the rest of the airports.
- Navigating 30+ aircraft all flying around the same airports in different paths.
- Meeting random people in small aircraft, enjoying the sport.
- I had the third place winning hand! (Sheer luck!) $100 gift card to Madden’s on Gull Lake. Yay, flying date in our future.
- Amazing co-pilot to share and help me navigate!
KBRD (Brainerd, MN): I’ve been to Brainard before, nice place.
09Y (Bowstring, MN): This was our favorite airport on the circuit. The FBO was a old trailer home and the airport manager (and other volunteers) made us breakfast sandwiches.
07Y (Hill City, MN): Nothing much here, nice field, few hangars.
52Y (Remer, MN): Nothing much here, nice field.
9Y2 (East Gull Lake, MN): This strip is right on the golf course, good airport to stop at if you are going to some of the resorts or restaurants.
VFR Direct, early in the morning
Look at all those planes!
Not everyday you see a group of small planes marching out to the runway. We had a business jet behind us, I bet they were talking about everyone!
Everyone off! We were in a small group heading to Bowstring. We chose to go to the farthest one first instead of making a circle like everyone else
I didn’t take many photos, if you have seen one grass strip, you have seen them all!